Notes: Washout gives Jimmie Johnson Poconos pole
Friday, Jun. 07, 2013
Crew members push the No. 14 Mobil 1/Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet of Tony Stewart into the garage area during a rain delay at Pocono Raceway on Friday in Long Pond, Pa.
LONG POND, Pa. A persistent rain Friday canceled qualifying for Sundays Party In The Poconos 400 at Pocono Raceway.
That was good news for Chevy-driving Jimmie Johnson, who will start on the pole for the race based on his position as Sprint Cup points leader. Hell start on the front row alongside Carl Edwards, who is second in points.
There are a lot of good benefits from starting on the pole, from track position to pit-road picks, said Johnson. Well take it. Its one of the benefits (as points leader) when things rain out. So we certainly earned it.
The rain also washed out all practice sessions at Pocono on Friday. The NASCAR drivers will practice Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ARCA drivers competing in Saturdays Pocono ARCA 200 will practice at 9 a.m., with the green flag dropping at 1 p.m.
NATIONWIDE IN IOWA: Regan Smith is the points leader as the Nationwide Series arrives in Iowa for the Dupont Pioneer 250 at Iowa Speedway. With the race being a stand-alone event, Joey Logano is the only Sprint Cup regular who will be in the field.
BLANEY IN ARCA RACE: Ryan Blaney will run in the Michigan ARCA 200 on June 14 at Michigan International Raceway. Its the first of three ARCA races Blaney is scheduled to run, along with Road American on June 22 and Chicagoland on July 21. Blaney is running in NASCARs Truck Series this season for Penske Racing.
TRUCK DEBUT: Chad Hackenbracht, an ARCA driver since 2010, was scheduled to make his Truck debut Friday night at Texas. He will drive in three other races for Kyle Busch Motorsports, including Pocono in August, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in September and Las Vegas in September.
CHANGES AT TRD: David Wilson has been named acting president and general manager at Toyota Racing Development, replacing Lee White, who stepped down earlier this week and will retire at the end of the season.
MARTINS FATHER DIES: Gil Martin, Kevin Harvicks crew chief, isnt at Pocono this weekend. Martins father, Gilford Hicks Martin Sr., died Friday at age 89.
Lap length: 2.5 miles
St (No.) Driver, Carhow qualified
1. (48) Jimmie Johnson, Chevroletowner points
2. (99) Carl Edwards, Fordowner points
3. (15) Clint Bowyer, Toyotaowner points
4. (20) Matt Kenseth, Toyotaowner points
5. (29) Kevin Harvick, Chevroletowner points
6. (88) Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chevroletowner points
7. (5) Kasey Kahne, Chevroletowner points
8. (18) Kyle Busch, Toyotaowner points
9. (27) Paul Menard, Chevroletowner points
10. (2) Brad Keselowski, Fordowner points
11. (24) Jeff Gordon, Chevroletowner points
12. (43) Aric Almirola, Fordowner points
13. (16) Greg Biffle, Fordowner points
14. (55) Mark Martin, Toyotaowner points
15. (56) Martin Truex Jr., Toyotaowner points
16. (17) Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Fordowner points
17. (11) Denny Hamlin, Toyotaowner points
18. (51) A J Allmendinger, Chevroletowner points
19. (14) Tony Stewart, Chevroletowner points
20. (78) Kurt Busch, Chevroletowner points
21. (22) Joey Logano, Fordowner points
22. (1) Jamie McMurray, Chevroletowner points
23. (39) Ryan Newman, Chevroletowner points
24. (31) Jeff Burton, Chevroletowner points
25. (42) Juan P. Montoya, Chevroletowner points
26. (9) Marcos Ambrose, Fordowner points
27. (13) Casey Mears, Fordowner points
28. (34) David Ragan, Fordowner points
29. (47) Bobby Labonte, Toyotaowner points
30. (10) Danica Patrick, Chevroletowner points
31. (38) David Gilliland, Fordowner points
32. (7) Dave Blaney, Chevroletowner points
33. (30) David Stremme, Toyotaowner points
34. (83) David Reutimann, Toyotaowner points
35. (36) J.J. Yeley, Chevroletowner points
36. (35) Josh Wise, Fordowner points
37. (33) Landon Cassill, Chevroletattempts
38. (32) Timmy Hill, Fordattempts
39. (93) Travis Kvapil, Toyotaattempts
40. (87) Joe Nemechek, Toyotaattempts
41. (98) Michael McDowell, Fordattempts
42. (19) Jason Leffler, Toyotaattempts
43. (44) Scott Riggs, Fordattempts